Yield: 6 servingsPrep Time: 15 minutesCook Time: 30 minutesTotal Time: 45 minutes
This hearty and comforting soup is based on the version made famous by Olive Garden. But I don’t want to call it a copycat… because this home made version is much better!Print
- 1 lb Italian sausage links
- 8 oz bacon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4-5 medium potatoes
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1.5 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme
- Red chili flakes, salt and pepper to taste
- Shaved Parmesan cheese for garnish
- In heavy bottom pot, fry bacon until crispy over medium-high heat. Remove bacon, set aside, and remove all but 2-3 Tbsp bacon drippings. Remove sausage from casings and fry in bacon drippings, crumbling with wooden spoon, until browned and crumbly. Remove and set aside.
- Add chopped onions to same pan, sauté until translucent. Add garlic, cook until fragrant. Add wine and reduce for 2-3 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, chili flakes, thyme and oregano.
- Add chicken broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and cook until potatoes are just for tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add about 3/4 of the meat mixture, saving some aside for garnishing.
- Stir in kale and cook 2-3 minutes, until wilted.
- Reduce heat to low, add heavy cream, stir nicely and allow flavors to mix together for a few minutes.
- Taste. Add additional salt, pepper, red chili flakes, thyme and oregano as desired.
- Serve in your favorite bowl and garnish with more bacon and sausage, shaved Parmesan and fresh thyme sprigs. Serve with plenty of nice crusty bread!
Slow Cooker Method
- Begin by following steps 1 & 2 from stovetop method.
- Add 3/4 of cooked meat mixture (saving some aside for garnishing) and and potatoes to the slow cooker. Add in onion wine mixture. Swirl a little water in the original pan and pour that into the slow cooker, so you don’t lost any of that reduced wine.
- Add chicken broth and just enough water to cover the potatoes.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5-6 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- Stir in cream and kale and cook until kale has wilted.
Instant Pot Method
- With instant pot set to sauté, complete steps 1 & 2 from stovetop method in instant pot.
- Add in potatoes, 3/4 of meat mixture (saving some aside for garnishing) and chicken broth.
- Set pressure to HIGH on manual setting and set time for 5 minutes. Afterwards, allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes before opening.
- Stir in cream and kale. Serve once kale has wilted.
- For thicker zuppa, mix 1-2 Tbsp with a little heavy cream and stir into your pot during the last 2-3 minutes of cooking.
- Refrigerate leftovers overnight and get ready for even deeper and richer flavor the next day, as all of those layers have mingled nicely together!
- Make it keto by replacing potatoes with cauliflower florets.
Yield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 898Total Fat 61gSaturated Fat 29gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 32gCholesterol 168mgSodium 2678mgCarbohydrates 48gFiber 6gSugar 8gProtein 41g