This ice cream cake recipe is basic — you can use any flavor of ice cream or cake mix you like. Frost with frosting, fudge topping, thinned ice milk, or anything! Use 1/2 gallon, rectangular cartons of ice cream.
- 1 (15.25 ounce) package chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 3 large eggs
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ½ gallon chocolate ice cream
- Step 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Step 2Combine chocolate cake mix, water, eggs, and oil in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Pour batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Step 3Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 26 to 30 minutes. Allow to cool completely on a wired rack.
- Step 4Meanwhile, remove the carton paper from ice cream. Set ice cream block on its long side. Use a piece of string or dental floss to cut ice cream in half lengthwise, then place the 2 pieces side-by-side on a sheet of waxed paper.
- Step 5Remove cooled cake from the baking dish and place over the ice cream slabs. Trim cake and ice cream, so the edges are flush.
- Step 6Place a board or serving platter over cake. Holding onto the waxed paper and board, flip ice cream cake over. Remove the waxed paper and smooth the seam between the ice cream slabs.
- Step 7Cover top with waxed paper and freeze until very firm. Decorate as desired
250 calories; protein 3.9g; carbohydrates 37.5g; fat 10.9g; cholesterol 19.9mg; sodium 281.5mg. Full Nutrition