Jalapeño Popper Hasselback Chicken
Jalapenos are without a doubt a Mexican icon up there with sombreros and Frida Kahlo. These smooth, glossy torpedoes of joy are ubiquitous not only south of the border but north too, peppering Tex-Mex cuisine with their distinctive mellow heat and dark green hue. Combined with chicken, bucketloads of cheese and that classic prerequisite for a good time, double cream, you are onto a winner.
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 6 Jalapeno peppers
- 2 cups mixed mozzarella & cheddar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp pepper
- ¾ cup double cream
- 4 chicken breasts
- Sliced cheddar cheese
- Thinly cut bacon, cooked until crisp and cut into narrow strips
- In a large bowl mix together the cream cheese, jalapenos, two cheeses, salt, pepper and cream. Set aside.
- Cut parallel slices down the length of each chicken breast then lay them in a greased skillet and insert alternate slices of cheese and bacon into each.
- Season then spoon over dollops of the cheesy popper mixture. Bake for around 40 – 50 minutes until the sauce is bubbling and the chicken has cooked through.
- Serve with salad to offset all that dairy.