PREP TIME20 minutes
COOK TIME2 hours 30 minutes
TOTAL TIME2 hours 50 minutes
- 1 ½ pound chuck roast, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil, more as needed
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- 4 1/2 cups beef broth, divided
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 pound turnips, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into coins
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- Heat a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the oil and heat until shimmering.
- Sprinkle the beef with 1 teaspoon of salt. Add the beef to the pot in a single layer (you’ll likely need to work in batches) and cook until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes per batch. Add additional oil as needed between batches. Remove all beef to a bowl and set aside.
- Add ½ cup beef broth and vinegar to the dutch oven and scrape up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the beef back to the skillet along with the beef broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cover. Cook over low heat for 1 ½ hours or until beef is tender.
- Add the turnips, carrots, onion, celery, garlic, and remaining 2 teaspoons salt. Stir to combine.
- Remove ½ cup of liquid from the pot to a small bowl or measuring cup. Sprinkle with the xanthan gum and whisk well to incorporate. Return mixture to the pot and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaf and sprinkle with parsley before serving.
Smaller turnips tend to be sweeter than larger turnips and have less of a bitter taste.
You may use 1/2 cup of dry red wine in place of the beef broth to deglaze the pan.
I did not measure the servings by volume. Just divide evenly among six bowls.
YIELD: 6 SERVING SIZE: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 341Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 94mgSodium: 1872mgCarbohydrates: 9gNet Carbohydrates: 6gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gSugar Alcohols: 0gProtein: 31g