KETO CHOCOLATE SWISS ROLL CAKE
This chocolate roulade is so popular that even if we have guests and I prepare a variety of choices, a swiss roll is the first gone. I love the softness of it and even before guests arrive, I usually cut a few pieces for myself.
PREP TIME15 minutesCOOK TIME20 minutesTOTAL TIME35 minutes
- 6 Eggs
- 60g (9 Tbsp) Ground almonds
- 1 Tsp Baking powder
- 1 Tsp Xanthan gum
- 3 Tbsp Sukrin Plus (6 Tbsp Swerve or equivalent sweetener)
- 3 Tbsp Cocoa
- 500g Curd cheese or Farmers Cheese
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 2 Tbsp Sukrin Plus (4 Tbsp Swerve or equivalent sweetener)
- Preheat the oven on 190 C
- Mix egg whites separately and place it aside
- Mix egg yolks with sugar.
- Mix all the grained almonds, baking powder and xantan gum together
- Once egg yolks are mixed, slowly add grained almonds mixture and cocoa
- Once all mixed, with a spatula add whipped egg whites and fold it gently
- Place in the oven for 20 minutes
- Once baked, take it out and place the parchment paper with the baked base on a wet towel. In that way it will be easier to separate the base from the parchment paper. Leave it for circa 5 minutes and then slowly start peeling the base from the parchment paper.
- Once all taken out, make holes all over the base
- For the filling, just place all the ingredients in the mixer and let it all mix properly
- Place the filling on top of the baked base and slowly roll it together
- Once all rolled, place the roll into a plastic wrap and firmly wrap it, so the roulade holds properly.
- Place it in the fridge for 8 hours, best overnight
- Bon appetite
- Rolling the cake
If you feel, that your sponge cake is too thin and you are afraid of breaking it while rolling, you can roll it while still warm. This will retain its shape and once cooled, unroll, fill and roll again.
While rolling this chocolate roulade, do not press tight too much. You might force press out most of the filling and will end up with a very thin low carb swiss roll cake.
- Making powder sugar
It is ok if you do not have a powdered sugar at home. I never have. I always buy a normal sugar substitute and make my own powdered sugar every single time. It is the easiest thing you can do. Just place it into the Magic bullet or a Coffee Grainer and switch it on. You will get a perfectly powdered sugar every single time. You can also make your own Vanilla sugar by placing a vanilla bean inside for a few weeks.
- Making Glaze
For the glaze, warm up either a sugar-free chocolate or Cacao mixed with sweetener and add a bit of coconut oil.
If you just warm it up and pour, you will get a thin shiny chocolate layer.
If you let it cool a bit and mix it fully with a hand mixer, you will add a bit air in and make it fluffy. That could be then spread on top of the roulade and with the help of a fork decorated into the famous Keto Yule Log.
- Peeling the parchment Paper from the low carb sponge cake
A little trick I have learned from my mum: Make sure a wet towel is placed underneath the parchment paper once the cake is baked and hot. This will help the parchment paper to get wet, which will help you to peel it easily from the cake once cooled.
1Amount Per ServingCalories53Total Fat5gTrans Fat0gCarbohydrates2gFiber1gProtein4g