FEBRUARY 17, 2020
KETO CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM
I often write a blog post thinking about what I have to say about a particular recipe. But today we are going to flip that on its head: what does this recipe say about me? I think this one is speaking loud and clear.
This recipe is saying that I love really rich keto chocolate ice cream. This recipe says that when it comes to chocolate cravings, I don’t mess around. It also says that I am your typical woman, moody and irritable at times, and chocolate is the best way to soothe the beast.
Prep Time15 minsCook Time20 minsChilling time6 hrsTotal Time6 hrs 35 mins
This rich keto chocolate ice cream ice cream is for serious chocolate lovers only. Rich and creamy, it’s called Death By Chocolate Ice Cream with good reason! No wimpy chocolate flavor here, my friends.Course: DessertCuisine: DessertKeyword: keto chocolate ice cream, low carb chocolate ice creamServings: 8 servingsCalories: 226 kcalIngredients
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cups unsweetened almond milk, divided use hemp milk for nut-free
- 1/3 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup Swerve Sweetener
- 1/3 cup Bocha Sweet can sub allulose or xylitol
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp vodka optional, helps reduce iciness
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Set a bowl over an ice bath.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the cream, 1/2 cup of the almond milk, cocoa powder and sweeteners. Whisk together until well combined and stir until mixture reaches 160F on an instant read thermometer.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a medium bowl. Slowly add 1 cup of the hot cream mixture, whisking continuously to temper the yolks. Slowly add the tempered yolks back into the saucepan, whisking continuously. Cook and stir until mixture reaches 165F on an instant read thermometer and is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and add the chopped chocolate. Let sit 5 minutes and then whisk until smooth.
- Pour mixture into bowl set over ice bath and let cool 10 minutes. Then wrap tightly in plastic and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Before churning, whisk in the remaining 1/4 cup of almond milk milk, the vodka, if using, the vanilla extract, and the salt (the mixture will be VERY thick until these ingredients are whisked in).
- Pour the mixture into the canister of an ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Once churned, transfer to an airtight container and freeze another few hours until firm.
Nutrition FactsKeto Chocolate Ice CreamAmount Per Serving (1 serving = approx 1/2 cup)Calories 226Calories from Fat 185% Daily Value*Fat 20.6g32%Carbohydrates 6.5g2%Fiber 3.3g13%Protein 3g6%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.