Keto French Toast
This tasty keto French toast is made with coconut flour bread. It’s an easy recipe, and it tastes wonderful – very close to the real thing!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time20 mins
- ▢2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ▢¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ▢¼ teaspoon stevia glycerite (equivalent of 1 tablespoon sweetener)
- ▢2 tablespoons whole milk (or heavy cream)
- ▢1 large egg
- ▢2 tablespoons coconut flour (½ oz which is 14g)
- ▢¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ▢½ teaspoon baking powder gluten-free if needed
- ▢1 large egg
- ▢1 tablespoon whole milk (or heavy cream)
- ▢1 tablespoon unsalted butter for frying
Prepare the bread:
- Place the butter in a glass sandwich-size container. Microwave until melted, about 50 seconds.
- Mix in the vanilla, stevia, milk, and egg. Whisk until smooth.
- Mix in the coconut flour, cinnamon, and baking powder.
- Use a small rubber spatula to spread the batter evenly in the container.
- Microwave, uncovered, for 90 seconds.
- Remove the bread from the container to a cutting board, bottom side up, and allow it to cool for 5 minutes.
Fry the bread:
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the egg with the milk, and heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat.
- Dip both sides of the bread in the egg mixture. When the butter begins to foam, place the soaked bread in the pan. Cook over medium-low heat (not higher) until golden-brown, pressing on the middle of the bread with a spatula, for 3-5 minutes per side.
- Cut the bread into two triangles and serve. It’s excellent as is, but you can drizzle it with sugar-free syrup and dust it with sugar-free confectioners’ powder if you wish.
- Cook the bread slices patiently over medium-low heat. This will ensure even cooking. You should also gently press on the middle of the bread with a spatula. Otherwise, the coconut bread tends to brown on the edges rather than all over.
- The sweetener is optional. If you plan on serving this dish with syrup, there’s no need to sweeten the bread itself. I usually sweeten it with a touch of stevia because I don’t use syrup.
NUTRITION PER SERVING
Serving: 1toast | Calories: 502kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 45g | Saturated Fat: 26g | Sodium: 400mg | Fiber: 5g