This easy keto gumbo recipe is a Southern classic made low carb. It’s a simple, healthy one-pot meal that’s naturally thickened and full of flavor.
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them.
- 12 oz Okra (fresh or frozen, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds)
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 12 oz Andouille sausage (sliced thinly)
- 2 large Bell peppers (diced; I used red and green)
- 1/2 large Onion (diced)
- 1/2 cup Celery (diced)
- 4 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 8 cups Chicken broth
- 1 14.5-oz can Diced tomatoes (with liquid)
- 2 tbsp Cajun seasoning (start with 1 tbsp if you don’t want spicy)
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt (to taste)
- 24 oz Cauliflower rice (fresh or frozen)
- 12 oz Medium shrimp (peeled and deveined, thawed if frozen)
- 1-3 tsp File powder (optional, for thick gumbo, adjust to desired thickness)
- In a small skillet over medium heat, cook the okra for about 5 minutes, until any slime cooks away.
- Heat the oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add the bell peppers, onions, and celery. Saute for 5-8 minutes, until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the sliced sausage. Saute for about 5 minutes, until browned.
- Make a well in the center and add the minced garlic. Let it sizzle for about 30 seconds, until fragrant, then stir in with everything else.
- Add the chicken broth, diced tomatoes, and sauteed okra. Season with cajun seasoning and sea salt to taste.
- Bring the gumbo to a boil, then cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the shrimp. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower rice. Simmer for 5 minutes again, until shrimp is opaque and cauliflower rice is soft.
- Remove from heat. Sprinkle gumbo with file powder and stir, until thickened.
Serving size: 1 1/2 cups Nutrition Facts Amount per serving. Serving size in recipe notes above. Calories 242 Fat 13.9g Protein 17g Total Carbs 12.8g Net Carbs 8.6g Fiber 4.2g Sugar 4.8g