This keto taco salad made with ground beef makes a perfect weeknight meal or lunch for on the go. You can omit the shredded cheese if you’d like to make it dairy free, and the dressing is a delicious mixture of yogurt and blender salsa. It is low carb, nut free, and keto!
Servings Course: Main Course, SaladCuisine: American, MexicanKeyword: Keto Taco Salad with Ground Beef
Prep Time:20 minutesCook Time:20 minutesServings: 6 Calories: 545kcal
- ▢6 Roma tomatoes quartered
- ▢1/2 medium white onion quartered
- ▢large handful of cilantro
- ▢2 jalapeños cut in half, see notes
- ▢4-6 garlic cloves
- ▢1/4 cup avocado oil
- ▢2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ▢1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ▢1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- ▢1 tablespoon avocado oil or ghee
- ▢1 1/2 pounds grass-fed ground beef see notes
- ▢4 garlic cloves minced
- ▢1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- ▢1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- ▢1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ▢1 teaspoon cumin
- ▢1 teaspoon oregano
- ▢1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- ▢1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- ▢3 Romaine hearts chopped
- ▢1/2 cup Greek yogurt or dairy free yogurt see notes
- ▢1/2 cup blender salsa see notes
- ▢1/4 cup green onions thinly sliced
- ▢3/4 cup shredded cheese
- ▢1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes halved
- ▢2 medium avocados sliced or cubed
- ▢handful of fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- ▢kosher salt to taste
- ▢black pepper to taste
- Prep salsa: In the pitcher of a high-speed blender pitcher, combine the blend tomatoes, onion, cilantro, garlic, and jalapeños. Blend together on high speed until smooth throughout.
- Cook salsa: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add warm the oil and turn the heat to medium. Carefully pour the blender contents into the saucepan, while stirring. Add the salt, oregano, and black pepper seasonings.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes. It will become darker as the vegetables cook.
- Taste for additional salt or pepper. Transfer to an airtight container once it has cooled down and set aside. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
- In a small bowl, combine all of the spices together and set aside. Heat up a large sauté pan over medium high heat for 2 minutes. Add oil and let that heat for another minute.
- Add ground beef to the pan along with the spices. Sauté for about 5-7 minutes, adding lime juice halfway through, until it is cooked throughout and there is no longer any pink showing .
- Make dressing: Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together equal parts salsa and yogurt and set aside.
- Toss salad: In a large bowl, toss together the romaine, tomatoes, and cheese; alternatively, assemble on a platter. Top with the cooked chicken and drizzle with the salsa sauce. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the avocados, scallions, and cilantro before serving.
- If you are sensitive to spice, I’d recommend de-seeding 1 or both jalapeños!
- You can alternatively use ground chicken, pork or turkey.
- Depending on how dressed you like your salad, you may need more of the salsa/yogurt combination. Start with 1/2 cup of each mixed together and add more from there.
Calories: 545kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 45g | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 3g