This easy Keto Chicken Pot Pie is made in a single cast-iron skillet or baking dish for a no-fuss low-carb meal.
For the filling:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 teaspoon each thyme, oregano, rosemary, black pepper, parsley
- 1.5 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum optional
- 1 pound chicken breast shredded or cut into chunks, pre-cooked
For the crust:
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded mozzarella part skim / low moisture
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 egg whites
- 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum optional
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- In a 10.25” cast-iron skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add celery and onions, along with a pinch of salt and cook until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Next, add in minced garlic, along with spicesd, and cook until garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add in the frozen mixed vegetables and cook until softened, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the cream cheese and chicken broth, stirring constantly until a sauce forms, adjust seasonings to taste as you go. Turn the heat to low, then pour in the heavy cream.
- Bring to a simmer then add in xanthan gum slowly, stirring constantly to thicken. Allow to simmer for 5-10 minutes so the sauce can thicken. After the sauce thickens, add in your cooked chicken and stir to combine and warm through. Set aside.
For the crust
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt your mozzarella cheese for about 30 seconds until the cheese is just melted.
- Stir in the remaining dough ingredients into the mozzarella.
- Roll into a ball and knead 1 or 2 times. Place the dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper. Using a rolling pin roll the dough out to a ¼” thickness.
- Spread the dough over the top of the chicken pot pie mixture and press to the sides to cover. Poke a few holes into the crust to allow steam to escape while the pie cooks.
- Transfer to the oven and cook for 30-35 minutes until the top is golden brown. If the top browns too quickly, you can cover it to prevent further browning. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before serving.