- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup rice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can tomatoes with chilis, undrained
- 4 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup vegetable broth or water
- Turn the Instant Pot to saute.
- Heat the 2 T of oil for a minute or so, then add the onion and cook for 5 minutes to soften.
- Add the garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the rice and stir for 1 minute.
- Turn the Instant Pot off.
- Add all the remaining ingredients – cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, salt, tomatoes, tomato sauce and broth or water. Stir to mix well.
- Put the lid on the pressure cooker and on the Rice setting for 8 minutes or use Manual mode for 8 minutes if your Instant Pot doesn’t have a rice setting.
- Once complete let the pressure release naturally for 5-10 minutes. After that you can release the rest of the pressure manually and serve topped with coriander.
Nutrition facts are estimates.