This appetizer has been a favorite starter for the last few decades for good reason. It’s crispy, golden crust and warm gooey center will make you grateful that you’ve gone low carb. Pair this dish with low carb ranch or low carb marinara (or both).
PREP TIME10 mins
COOK TIME 10 mins
TOTAL TIME 20 mins
CUISINE American, Keto
SERVINGS 4 servings
CALORIES 346 kcal
- 8 mozzarella string cheese sticks low moisture, part-skim
- 2 eggs beaten
- ¾ cup Parmesan
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Prep a freezer-safe plate with parchment paper.
- Unwrap and cut string cheese in half crossways to make short sticks.
- Beat your eggs in a small bowl.
- In a medium bowl, mix the coating ingredients. You shouldn’t need extra salt because the parm is salty, but test it to make sure.
- Dip the cheese in the egg, then roll in the coating and repeat for each stick so they are each coated twice and FULLY coated. This is important. You don’t want cheese oozing out.
- Place the cheese sticks on the plate and freeze for at least one hour or until frozen.Once thoroughly frozen, remove from the freezer and place on the air fryer rack that is covered with parchment. Spray each stick with oil. (If your air fryer is smaller, do two batches to make sure there is room for the air to flow. The sticks should not touch.
- Set the air-fryer to 390F and cook for 10-13 minutes. Turn them after six minutes to brown the underside. The crust should be starting to brown.
- Serve immediately with low-carb dip for best results. Re-heat in the air-fryer if you have leftovers. See post for making ahead and the oven method.
This recipe makes 12 mozzarella sticks. A serving size is four sticks.
This low carb marinara is excellent with this appetizer.