A classic Chicago style deep dish pizza is the perfect weekend dish. It’s keto, gluten free, and not a fathead dough either!PREP TIME30 minutesCOOK TIME35 minutesADDITIONAL TIME10 minutesTOTAL TIME1 hour 15 minutes
- 2 cups Almond Flour
- 1/4 cup Fine Parmesan Cheese
- 1 tbsp. Psyllium Husk Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 6 tbsp. Cold Butter
- 1 Egg
- 2 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 lb. Italian Sausage
- 1, 14.5 oz Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 tsp. Italian Seasonings
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 Onion, grated
- 1-2 Garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups Fresh Grated Mozzarella Cheese
- In a food processor, combine the almond flour, parmesan, baking powder, psyllium husk, and salt. Pulse to mix. Then add in the diced cold butter and pulse again until the butter is cut into the dry ingredients. Finally, add in the egg and pulse one last time until the dough forms into a ball. Set it aside.
- In a 9″ cast iron skillet, carefully press out the Italian sausage into the base of the pan. Cook on medium heat on the stove until the bottom is browned. Carefully flip it and cook the otherside. When fully cooked, place on a paper towel to drain the grease. Allow the pan to cool while making the sauce.
- In a small pot, add the crushed tomatoes, grated onion, garlic, salt, and Italian seasoning together. Allow it to cook down and break the tomatoes down more with a wooden spoon if necessary. Cook on low.
- Grate the cheese and set it aside.
- Preheat your grill (and set for indirect heat) or oven to 400F. Assemble the base of the deep dish pizza by taking the down and pressing it into the base of the pan and a few inches up the sides as well (like a pie). Use a fork to poke holes across the entire crust. Par-bake the crust like this for 15 minutes.
- After par-baking, fill the deep dish pizza with the remaining layers. First, layer the dough with the cheese, add the sausage patty and then cover it with the sauce. Place it back on the grill on indirect heat (or oven) and continue to bake for another 15-20 minutes. The crust should be cooked, golden brown, and the sauce should be bubbly.
- Remove from the heat and let sit for about 10 minutes before cutting and serving. Add some extra parmesan cheese over the top and sprinkle with red pepper flakes.
Not a fan of sausage? Swap the sausage patty out with your favorite pizza toppings!
Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 467TOTAL FAT: 38gSATURATED FAT: 14gTRANS FAT: 0gUNSATURATED FAT: 24gCHOLESTEROL: 87mgSODIUM: 1556mgCARBOHYDRATES: 12gNET CARBOHYDRATES: 6gFIBER: 6gSUGAR: 5gPROTEIN: 21g