Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time3 hrs
Total Time3 hrs 20 mins
- ▢1 ½ pounds chicken thighs, boneless/skinless
- ▢2 poblano peppers, roasted and chopped
- ▢3 cups chicken broth
- ▢8 ounces cream cheese, cut into chunks
- ▢4 ounce can diced green chiles
- ▢1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ▢½ yellow onion, diced
- ▢3 cloves garlic, minced
- ▢2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- ▢1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ▢1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ▢1 bay leaf
- ▢½ teaspoon salt
- ▢¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Add the poblano peppers onto a small sheet pan, rub with olive oil and bake for 7-10 minutes or until the skins are charred.
- Take the roasted peppers and add them to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap for a few minutes. This will make the skins much easier to peel off. Peel the peppers, remove the seeds and stem, then dice.
- Add the chicken thighs to the bottom of your slow cooker insert. Sprinkle the cumin, smoked paprika, salt and pepper over the tops. Add in the onion, poblano peppers and garlic.
- Then add in the cream cheese chunks, can of green chiles and chicken broth. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours.
- Remove the bay leaf and chicken. Discard the bay leaf and shred the chicken into bite size pieces. Before adding the chicken back in, stir in the cheddar cheese, a little at a time, until it has melted. Add the chicken back in, along with the cilantro, stir and allow to cook for 5 more minutes.
- Serve with your choice of garnish: cilantro, cheddar cheese, and/or sour cream.
If you don’t have the time to roast the peppers first, you can always dice them up and add them in raw instead. They won’t have that same smoky flavor, but will still taste delicious!
Slow Cooker Chile Relleno Soup
Amount Per Serving
Calories 465Calories from Fat 216
% Daily Value*
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.