Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 10 minutes
Total: 20 minutes
BACON PANCAKES have been a family favorite for years! We first had these savory pancakes and baconbits at the Calgary Stampede in Canada and have been making them ever since. If you’ve been thinking about making Bacon Pancakes, today is the day! It’s our favorite easy breakfast recipe. The savory/sweet combo just can’t be beat!
- ▢1 pound thin-cut bacon 454 grams
- ▢4 cups all-purpose flour 480 grams
- ▢4 teaspoons baking powder 16 grams
- ▢¾ cup granulated sugar 150 grams
- ▢1 teaspoon kosher salt 3 grams
- ▢6 large eggs 300 grams, separated into egg whites and egg yolks
- ▢3 cups whole milk 681 grams
- ▢12 tablespoons unsalted butter 170 grams, melted (1½ sticks)
- ▢¾ teaspoon pure vanilla extract 3 grams
- ▢¼ teaspoon almond extract 1 gram
- ▢2 tablespoons unsalted butter 28 grams, for cooking (¼ stick)
- ▢Salted Butter
- ▢Powdered Sugar
- ▢Maple Syrup
- ▢Jam or Jelly
- ▢Fresh Fruit
- ▢Maple Butter
- Kitchen Scale (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°F. Place a cooling rack over a baking sheet to use to keep the cooked pancakes warm.
- Cut bacon into ⅛-inch pieces and fry until crisp (or to your liking). Transfer crisp bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and set it aside until ready to use (SEE NOTE).1 pound thin-cut bacon
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Set aside.4 cups all-purpose flour,4 teaspoons baking powder,¾ cup granulated sugar,1 teaspoon kosher salt
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently transfer the beaten egg whites to another large bowl and set them aside until ready to use.6 large eggs
- In the same mixing bowl, combine egg yolks, milk, melted butter, vanilla, and almond extract. Mix until fully incorporated, about 2 minutes.3 cups whole milk,12 tablespoons unsalted butter,¾ teaspoon pure vanilla extract,¼ teaspoon almond extract
- Add the flour mixture to the egg yolk mixture and stir just until all flour is wet. The batter will be lumpy.
- Gently fold half of the beaten egg whites into the batter. Now, fold in the remaining half of the beaten egg whites. The egg whites should NOT be fully incorporated into the batter.
- Heat a griddle until hot and add 1 tablespoon of butter. Pour 2 tablespoons batter, per pancake, onto the griddle. The griddle should hold 4 pancakes at one time.2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Sprinkle cooked bacon pieces over the pancakes while the batter is still raw. When bubbles form on the top of the pancakes (about 2 minutes), check the undersides to see if they are golden brown. If ready, flip the pancakes over (*Do NOT flip the pancakes over until the tops have bubbles) and continue cooking about 1-2 minutes or until the pancakes are cooked through.
- Transfer pancakes to the prepared cooling rack and place then in the oven to keep warm.
- Repeat the process, adding extra butter, for cooking, when needed, until all pancakes have been cooked.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.Powdered Sugar,Cinnamon-Sugar,Maple Syrup,Jam or Jelly,Fresh Fruit,Maple Butter,Salted Butter
- NOTE: The bacon can be cooked up to 4 days prior to using, but keep the cooked bacon in the refrigerator. Pour the bacon grease in a heatproof dish to cool, then place it, covered, in the fridge to use in other recipes.
- This recipe makes approximately 40-45 pancakes.
- To freeze, spread out pancakes in an even layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze until solid, about 1-2 hours. Transfer to an airtight container or Ziplock bag for storage.
- Nutritional information does not include optional toppings.
Storage: Store bacon pancakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Serving: 6pancakes Calories: 823kcal (41%) Carbohydrates: 72g (24%) Protein: 22g (44%) Fat: 50g (77%) Saturated Fat: 23g (144%) Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g Monounsaturated Fat: 17g Trans Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 241mg (80%) Sodium: 970mg (42%) Potassium: 376mg (11%) Fiber: 2g (8%) Sugar: 24g (27%) Vitamin A: 984IU (20%) Calcium: 270mg (27%) Iron: 4mg (22%)