This delicious Broccoli and Cauliflower au Gratin with Ham casserole is a creamy and low carb meal that will quickly become a weekly favorite.
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets cut small
- 3 cups fresh cauliflower florets cut small
- 2 cups diced ham
- 4 oz. low-fat cream cheese softened
- 3/4 cup light sour cream
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ground black pepper to taste
- 3/4 – 1 cup shredded cheddar-pepper jack blend or whatever cheese you prefer
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a medium sized casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Fill a medium-sized pot half full with water, bring to a boil. Put broccoli and cauliflower pieces into the water and cook at a low boil until the vegetables are just beginning to get soft. The broccoli will cook faster than the cauliflower. If this is the case, use a slotted spoon to remove the broccoli. Check it often and don’t overcook as the vegetables will continue to cook in the oven.
- While the vegetables are cooking, put cream cheese into a small bowl and stir in the cream cheese, onion powder, and garlic powder. Add pepper to taste.
- When vegetables are done cooking, drain into a colander placed in the sink and let it drain very well (for at least 5 minutes). You want as much water off of the vegetables as possible.
- Put the drained vegetables back into the pot you cooked them.
- Stir in the sauce mixture into the vegetables, then gently mix in the diced ham.
- Season to taste with fresh-ground black pepper.
- Pour vegetable and ham mixture into the dish, spread out evenly, and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and lightly browned and all the casserole is hot and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let sit 5-10 minutes for any liquid to be absorbed, and then serve.