Change up the Friday night pizza routine with a keto calzone! This gluten free, low carb calzone is ready in just 30 minutes and it’s so easy to whip up. We’re talking a crispy almond flour pizza dough stuffed with all kinds of deliciousness that is simply… crazy good. Lots of flavor options in the post!
- ▢1.5 cup almond flour 150g
- ▢2 tbsp coconut flour 16g
- ▢Good pinch of salt
- ▢¾ tsp xanthan gum
- ▢1 large egg + 1 for egg wash
- ▢2 tbsp olive oil
- ▢½ cup ricotta 115g
- ▢⅓ cup keto pizza sauce 80g see notes
- ▢6 – 8 slices thin ham 100g
- ▢½ cup mozzarella cheese shredded 60g
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / 160C fan.
- Place the dry ingredients in a food processor and pulse to combine.
- Add 1 egg and olive oil and pulse until a sticky batter. Don’t over-mix.
- Divide dough into two and roll out between two sheets of parchment paper. Cut around a 19 cm saucepan lid. Use ends to form the third circle.
- On one half of the dough, spread the ingredients starting with 2 tbsp pizza sauce, ham, ricotta and mozzarella, leaving about ¾ inch from the edge. Fold over and crimp the edges.
- Brush with egg wash and top with optional dried oregano and sea salt flakes. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden. Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and fresh basil or thyme.
Net carbs: 7.6g plus 0.9g (pizza sauce) = 8.5g per calzone. Makes 3 calzones. *** If not using my pizza sauce, make a quick tomato sauce with ⅓ cup (80ml) thick tomato passata, 1 teaspoon minced garlic or ½ tsp garlic powder and 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs. Or simply use 1 tablespoon double concentrated tomato puree per calzone.
Calories: 613kcalTotal Carbohydrates: 14gProtein: 29gFat: 51.3gSaturated Fat: 14.5gFiber: 6.4g Sugar: 3.2g