Gooey melty keto fried cheese balls in a crispy grain-free crust. These delicious little broccoli cheese bites are a perfect keto appetizer for game day. Or any day!
I am excited to introduce you to one of my new favorite keto appetizers. But the problem is that I am not sure exactly what to call them.
Broccoli Cheddar Balls? Broccoli Cheddar Bites? Fried Cheese Balls? Deep Fried Broccoli Cheddar Bites? So many possibilities, none of which succinctly describe the deliciousness you are about to enjoy.
Dang it! What is a food writer to do when words fail?
Never mind, I am too busy stuffing my face with these crispy keto broccoli cheddar balls. Or broccoli cheddar bites. Or fried cheese bites. Or whatever they are.
Broccoli Cheese Balls
- 1 ½ cups frozen broccoli thawed and drained (about 6 ounces)
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 6 ounces cheddar grated
- 3 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoon coconut flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon cream
- 1 ½ cups pork rind crumbs
- 3 to 4 cups oil for frying
- Chop the broccoli finely and place in a large bowl. Add the cream cheese, cheddar, garlic, pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Mash with a fork until well combined.
- Roll the mixture into balls no bigger than 1 inch, and place on a waxed paper lined baking sheet or tray. You should get about 30 balls. Freeze 3 to 4 hours.
- Spread the coconut flour in a shallow dish. Whisk the eggs and cream together in a medium bowl. Spread the pork rinds in another medium bowl.
- Once frozen, add the oil to a deep heavy duty 4 quart saucepan and bring up to 350F. Do your best to keep the temperature between 330F and 350F. (Any hotter means that the outside of the bites cooks too quickly while the filling doesn’t thaw).
- Roll each ball in the coconut flour for a light coatiing, then dip in the egg and dredge in the prok rind crumbs.
- Add 4 to 6 balls to the hot oil and cook about 3 minutes, until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon to drain on a paper towel lined plate. Repeat with remaining balls.
- Serve room temperature (don’t serve hot of they will burn your mouth with melty cheese!).
Don’t Forgot to try keto broccoli chicken casserole …