This twist on chicken fajitas needs to be on your dinner table tonight!
I don’t know about you but I can never have enough casseroles in my recipe book. This keto chicken fajita casserole has been requested weekly by my family and I sure do enjoy making it. It’s packed with flavor from the various peppers, onions, and our homemade keto taco seasoning. This low carb casserole will have you dancing in your seat.
I’m a huge fan of peppers so I used all the colors, but if you aren’t a fan of certain bell pepper varieties, you can double up on the ones you love. Add some fresh sliced avocados, a dollop of sour cream, and your Taco Tuesday will be better than ever!
Tips for making the best keto chicken fajita casserole:
- I boiled four chicken breasts to shred, but if you want to speed up the time for this recipe, you can buy pre-shredded chicken or even grab a rotisserie chicken from Sam’s or Costco.
- Did you know that you can use your mixer to shred chicken? It’s super easy to do! I just throw the chicken into my KitchenAid mixer with the paddle attachment on, set it to low for about a minute, and mix. Easy peasy and it’s perfectly shredded without having to do it by hand.
- I used our keto taco seasoning for this casserole — it really tastes so much better than store-bought. However, if you’re running short on time, feel free to grab a package of your favorite low carb taco seasoning.
- I didn’t drain the can of Rotel tomatoes when adding them to this recipe. By not draining, it really boosts the flavor while achieving the perfect consistency.
- I used my FullStar vegetable chopper to quickly dice the peppers and onions. It’s such a time saver in the kitchen and gets used frequently!
KETO CHICKEN FAJITA CASSEROLE
yield: 6 SERVINGS
prep time: 40 MINUTES
cook time: 20 MINUTES
total time: 60 MINUTES
This delicious Mexican-inspired keto chicken fajita casserole is filled with peppers, cheese, chicken, and more. A low-carb casserole your entire family will love!
- 4 boneless chicken breasts (about 3 lbs or 4 cups of shredded chicken)
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons keto taco seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green pepper, chopped into 1/2″ squares
- 1 red pepper, chopped into 1/2″ squares
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped into 1/2 squares
- 1 orange pepper, chopped into 1/2″ squares
- 1 medium size onion, chopped into 1/2″ squares
- 10 oz. can Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 8 oz. bag Mexican cheese mix, shredded
- avocado, sliced or cubed
- jalapeño, sliced
- sour cream
1.Place chicken breasts in a large pot and pour in enough water to cover the breasts. Add 1 tablespoon of salt to the water. Place over medium/high heat, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until no longer pink, for about 40 minutes. Allow chicken to cool, then shred it into small pieces. Set aside.
2.Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13 casserole dish and set aside.
3.In a large skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil, and then sauté the chopped peppers, onions, Rotel tomatoes, and 1 tablespoon taco seasoning for 5 minutes or until tender.
4.In a large bowl, add shredded chicken, cream cheese, 2 tablespoons taco seasoning, 1 cup of shredded cheese, and mix together well.
5.Spread the chicken mixture in the casserole dish. Top with sautéed peppers and onions mix.
6.Add the remaining cup of shredded cheese to the top and place in the oven for 20 minutes. You can also broil for a minute before serving (optional).
7.Serve with all your favorite taco toppings and enjoy!
Don’t forgot to try our KETO BROCCOLI CHEESE BITES
Yield: 6, Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: 585 Calories | 31.6g Fat | 9.9g Total Carbs | 3.6g Fiber | 5.2g Sugar | 65.5g Protein | 6.3g Net Carbs