2 hr 10 min
1 hr 40 minPlayMuteCurrent Time 2:12/Duration 2:16Loaded: 0%Progress: 0%Fullscreen
for 12 servings
- unsalted butter, for greasing
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 sweet yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cups honey ham(300 g), diced
- 24 hawaiian sweet rolls, cut into 1 in (2 1/2 cm) cubes, toasted
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup chicken stock(240 mL)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes(50 g), shredded
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 2 oranges, juiced
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 orange zests
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 9 x 13-inch (22 x 33 cm) baking dish with butter.
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté, stirring occasionally, until translucent and starting to caramelize, 15–20 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low if the onion starts to burn.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and continue to cook until the garlic is fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add the red and yellow bell peppers and ham to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the peppers are tender.
- Transfer the toasted Hawaiian rolls to a very large bowl. Pour the onion and ham mixture over the bread cubes and season with the salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl or liquid measuring cup, whisk together the eggs, chicken stock, and melted butter until well combined.
- Pour about ½ cup (120 ml) of the stock mixture at a time over the bread mixture and stir until well combined.
- Transfer the stuffing mixture to the prepared baking dish. Gently press the mixture down so the stuffing sits below the rim of the dish. Cover with foil.
- Bake the stuffing for 45 minutes.
- While the stuffing bakes, make the topping: In a small bowl, combine the shredded coconut, poppy seeds, and orange juice and mix well. Stir every 10 minutes or so as the stuffing bakes.
- Uncover the stuffing and top with the soaked coconut mixture, sprinkling evenly over the entire surface. Leave any excess orange juice behind in the bowl.
- Return the stuffing to the oven and bake until the coconut is light golden brown and crisp, 10–15 minutes.
- Remove the stuffing from the oven and let rest for 10–15 minutes, then top with the scallions and orange zest.
- Serve warm.