- 2 cups all purpose | plain flour, (290 g | 10 oz)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar or sweetener, (60g | 2 oz)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups milk, (440ml)
- 1/4 cup butter, (60g | 2 oz)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- Combine together the flour, sugar (or sweetener), baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large-sized bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the milk, slightly cooled melted butter, vanilla and egg.
- Use a wire whisk to whisk the wet ingredients together first before slowly folding them into the dry ingredients. Mix together until smooth (there may be a couple of lumps but that’s okay).(The batter will be thick and creamy in consistency. If you find the batter too thick — doesn’t pour off the ladle or out of the measuring cup smoothly — fold a couple tablespoons of extra milk into the batter at a time until reaching desired consistency).
- Set the batter aside and allow to rest while heating up your pan or griddle.
- Heat a nonstick pan or griddle over low-medium heat and wipe over with a little butter to lightly grease pan. Pour ¼ cup of batter onto the pan and spread out gently into a round shape with the back of your ladle or measuring cup.
- When the underside is golden and bubbles begin to appear on the surface, flip with a spatula and cook until golden. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve with honey, maple syrup, fruit, ice cream or frozen yoghurt, or enjoy plain!
Nutritional Information has been calculated per pancake.
Calories: 156kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 27mg | Sodium: 152mg | Potassium: 208mg | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 195IU | Calcium: 104mg | Iron: 1.1mg