These Cauliflower Breadsticks are cheesy, won’t crumble when held, and are a delicious low-carb, gluten-free, Keto-friendly, low-calorie breadstick alternative. If anything, this cauliflower cheese bread is MORE decadent with bubbly cheesy and a ‘pizza’-esque taste, and yet a single portion contains just 29 calories and 2g net carbs!
Prep Time: 7 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 37 minutes
Servings: 12 servings
- ▢1 large head of cauliflower 7″ – 8″ wide and 3-3.5 lbs, 6 cups riced cauliflower or 16-18 oz bag of store bought cauliflower rice
- ▢1/4 cup egg whites or 2 large eggs
- ▢1 1/4 cups Mozzarella/Tex Mex cheese shredded
- ▢1 tsp Italian seasoning, dried oregano or basil
- ▢1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- ▢Pinch of salt
- ▢Marinara sauce for dipping
- ▢Cooking spray I use Misto
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Rinse cauliflower, remove outer leaves and separate into florets with a paring knife. Place cauliflower florets in a food processor and process until “rice” texture. Some coarse chunks are fine.
- Place in an ovenproof baking dish (I used Pyrex pie dish) and bake for 20 mins. Remove cooked cauliflower from the oven and transfer to a bowl lined with a tea/linen towel. Let the cauliflower cool down a bit until it is safe to touch, about 15 minutes.
- Fold the towel holding by the ends and squeeze the liquid out of the cauliflower “ball” as hard as you can. Be patient and do this a few times until barely any liquid comes out. I squeezed out 1 cup of liquid.
- Increase oven T to 450 degrees F. Transfer cauliflower to a mixing bowl along with egg whites, 1/2 cup cheese, herb seasoning, black pepper, pinch of salt and mix to combine.
- Transfer cauliflower mixture onto the baking sheet lined with unbleached parchment paper. Flatten with your hands into a rectangle, approximately 9″ x 7″ size and 1/4″ thick.
- Bake for 18 minutes, remove from the oven and top with remaining 3/4 cup cheese. Bake for another 5 minutes and then broil until cheese turns golden brown. Cut into 12 breadsticks and serve hot with warm marinara sauce, if desired. P.S. For a lighter version, do not top with cheese.
- Some people have reported their cauliflower breadsticks sticking to parchment paper, so if in doubt – spray with cooking spray. Mine didn’t.
Serving: 1breadstick | Calories: 39kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 24mg | Sodium: 51mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g