Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
- ▢14 ounces smoked sausage, sliced
- ▢1 medium head of green cabbage, shredded
- ▢½ cup yellow onion, diced
- ▢4 cloves garlic, minced
- ▢2 tablespoons butter
- ▢2 tablespoons bacon grease, divided
- ▢2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ▢1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ▢½ teaspoon salt
- ▢¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ▢Optional red pepper flakes
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat and add in half of the bacon grease.
- Sauté the sausage for a few minutes, until it starts to get some color, then remove and set aside. In the same skillet (do not wipe it out), add in the rest of the bacon grease and onion, salt and pepper, then sauté for a few minutes or until they just start to caramelize. This will bring out a little sweetness that goes perfectly in this dish.
- Add the garlic in the center and sauté for about 20 seconds, do not let it start to brown or it will become bitter.
- Stir in the butter and smoked paprika and allow it to toast for about a minute, then add in the apple cider vinegar.
- Pour in the cabbage, toss and sauté for 10-12 minutes or until tender.
- Add the sausage back in and the (optional) red pepper flakes, cook for a few minutes until the sausage is heated through and serve.