I have loved Beef Stroganoff since I was a child, and this keto-friendly version is my go-to dish for when I am craving a hearty meal. This is one of my favorite one pot keto meals. To lift up leftovers, I like to add a squeeze of lemon juice and a dollop of sour cream.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time19 mins
Total Time29 mins
Course: Main Course
- 2 tablespoons butter or ghee
- 2 pounds sirloin steak cut into cubes (you can also use beef stew meat)
- ½ diced onion
- 6 ounces white mushrooms sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 ½ cups beef broth
- 6 ounces cream cheese cubed
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 ounces sour cream
- Heat butter or ghee to medium-high heat in a large skillet.
- Season the steak with salt and pepper.
- Add the meat to the pan, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until browned. Remove from the pan and allow to rest.
- Add the onion, mushrooms, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes, until the onion has softened.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add broth, cream cheese, coconut aminos, and Dijon mustard and cook for 5 to 8 minutes, until thickened. Whisk as needed to help the cream cheese melt.
- Return the beef to the pan, and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
- Add in 1 tablespoon of cooking sherry.
- For a richer dish, add ⅓ cup heavy cream when you add the broth
- Add ½ teaspoon lemon juice when you add the sour cream for a bright pop of flavor.
- Add 2 tablespoons coconut aminos.
- I think that the sauce is thick enough as is, but if you prefer a thicker sauce you can add in ¼ to ½ teaspoon of xanthan gum. I recommend adding ¼ teaspoon at a time, because it is very easy to over-do it with xanthan gum.
Calories: 293kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 107mg | Sodium: 692mg | Potassium: 539mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 461IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 75mg | Iron: 2mg