Garlicky, cheesy, fluffy bread rolls that are a great low carb alternative to traditional dinner rolls.
Prep time: 15 MINUTESCook time: 30 MINUTESTotal time: 45 MINUTES
- 1 1/2 cups part skim low moisture shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 oz full fat cream cheese
- 1 1/3 cups super fine almond flour*
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp aluminum free double acting baking powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup parmesan crumbs see note
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ tbsp butter
- 1 tsp finely chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8 inch round baking pan or similar sized oven-safe skillet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together almond flour, coconut flour, garlic powder and baking powder.
- Add mozzarella and cream cheese to a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover the cream cheese with mozzarella (this will prevent the cream cheese from overheating). Melt in the microwave at 30 second intervals. After each 30 seconds, stir cheese until cheese is completely melted and uniform and resembles a dough in appearance (see photo for reference). This should only take around 1 minute total cooking time. Do not try to microwave the full time at once because some of the cheese will overcook.
- Add cheese, eggs and flour mixture into a food processor with dough blade attachment. Pulse on high speed until the dough is uniform. The dough will be quite sticky.
- Scoop out dough with a spatula and place onto a large sheet of plastic wrap. Cover the dough in plastic wrap and knead a few times with the dough inside the plastic wrap until you have a uniform dough ball. Lightly coat your hands with oil and divide dough into 8 equal parts. Roll each dough between your palms until it forms a smooth round ball.
- Roll each dough ball in parmesan crumbs. Place dough balls onto baking pan, spaced 1 inches apart. I placed 1 ball in the center and the remaining 7 balls circling the pan.
- Bake rolls for about 25-30 minutes in the middle rack of your oven, or until rolls are golden brown.
- While rolls are baking, make the garlic topping. Add garlic, butter and oil in a small saucepan. Bring to simmer for about 30 seconds or until butter is melted and garlic flavor is infused into the oil. Stir in parsley. When rolls are finished, brush tops generously with garlic topping. Rolls are best eaten hot.
- I only lined the bottom of the baking dish with parchment paper. For photo purposes, I replated in a skillet and added parchment paper all around.
- If you don’t have an 8 inch round pan, you can also use something slightly bigger, but your bread will not fill the entire pan.
- If you do not want pull-apart, you can make these as separate individual rolls. Baking time will likely be a few minutes less.
- Make sure to use a baking powder that is labeled aluminum-free. This recipe uses more baking powder than a typical recipe, so you want to avoid baking powder with aluminum as it will leave a metallic taste in the bread.
- For the parmesan crumbs, I used shredded parmesan cheese and ran them through the food processor until they resembled the size of large bread crumbs.
- I find it easier to make the dough in a food processor. You can also do by hand, but it will take longer and more effort.
- The estimated nutrition carbohydrates count excludes sugar alcohols. The net carbs excludes both fiber and sugar alcohols.
Serving: 1roll, Calories: 294kcal, Carbohydrates: 7g, Protein: 10g, Fat: 25g, Saturated Fat: 7g, Sodium: 284mg, Potassium: 406mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 1g, NET CARBS: 4g