prep time: 15 MINUTES
cook time: 50 MINUTES
total time: 1 HOUR 5 MINUTES
course: MAIN DISHES
cuisine: AMERICAN, ITALIAN
CHEESE DOUGH LASAGNA NOODLES
- 4 oz full fat cream cheese softened
- 1 1/2 cups shredded part skim low moisture mozzarella cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup onion minced
- 1 lb ground beef I used lean ground beef
- 1 cup no sugar added marinara sauce
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 6 tbsp ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded part skim low moisture mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Add all cheese dough ingredients into a food processor. Blend until evenly mixed. It should have a thick liquid consistency. If you do not have a food processor, you can mix by hand (see notes).
- Pour cheese batter into prepared baking pan. Use a spatula to spread batter across pan.
- Place into middle of oven and bake for about 20 minutes, or until surface is no longer wet and is firm to the touch.
- Set cheese noodles aside to let cool. While noodles are cooling, prepare your meat sauce.
- In a large skillet, add onion and ground beef. Cook on medium heat until meat is browned. Drain excess fat from pan.
- Add in Italian seasoning and marinara sauce. Reduce to low heat and cook at a simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Evenly slice your cheese dough into thirds. Your slices should just fit into an 8 x 4 inch loaf pan. (see photo in post for reference)
- Add a thin layer of meat sauce to the bottom of an 8 x 4 inch loaf pan. Add first noodle layer over meat sauce.
- Add 1/3 of the remaining meat sauce across first noodle layer. Spread 3 tbsp of ricotta cheese across. Sprinkle 1/4 mozzarella cheese across.
- Repeat with second noodle, meat sauce, ricotta, and mozzarella.
- Add third noodle. Top with remaining meat sauce. Sprinkle on remaining mozzarella. If desired you can add a pinch of dried herb seasoning to the cheese. I like to finely crumble a pinch of dried oregano and add it to the cheese.
- Bake lasagna in the middle of your oven at 350F for about 20 minutes. If you wish to get some color on the top cheese layer, set your oven to a low broil (after the 20 min bake) and let the cheese bubble and blister for about 2 minutes.
- Let lasagna cool slightly before slicing and serving. If desired, sprinkle on some finely chopped fresh basil, oregano and parsley and freshly grated parmesan cheese before serving.
- I prefer using a food processor for mixing the cheese dough. If you do not have a food processor, it can be done by hand but you will need to finely chop the shredded cheese so it is similar to running it through a food processor. First, whisk softened cream cheese until smooth. Add in eggs and whisk. Stir in mozzarella cheese and Italian seasoning. Pour into prepared baking pan.
- You can use your favorite mozzarella cheese for the filling, but make sure to use a low moisture part skim for making the cheese dough.
- I purchased no sugar marinara pasta sauce to use for the filling. Some brands that offer this are Muir Glen and Rao’s. You can also make your own with my recipe here.
- Adapted from this recipe. My recipe uses a different cheese noodle.
- Nutrition facts is calculated with 90/10 lean ground beef
serving: 0.25of recipe, calories: 633kcal, carbohydrates: 9g, protein: 49g, fat: 43g, saturated fat: 20g, sodium: 840mg, potassium: 707mg, fiber: 1g, sugar: 3g, net carbs: 8g
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.