You’ll love these ULTRA-easy peanut butter cookies. They’re full of peanut butter flavor and have the perfect balance of salty and sweet with a wonderfully soft, melt in your mouth texture. This cookie is a classic for a reason!
Adding peanut butter to cookies creates an amazing soft consistency with a very delicate, velvety crumb. These classic peanut butter cookies are complete crowd pleasers.
You can make them days in advance for instant gratification anytime and they’re so easy to make! The most difficult part is having the patience to let them set up after they’re out of the oven.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED FOR THIS RECIPE
Peanut Butter: I like using a creamy peanut butter for this recipe but you can definitely use chunky instead. If you’re using a natural peanut butter make sure to give it a VERY good mix before adding.
Brown Sugar: You can use either light or dark brown sugar in this recipe. Dark brown will impart a slightly more caramel-like flavor.
HOW TO MAKE PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES
1. Preheat over to 350F. Sift flour and baking powder together then whisk to combine.
2. Cream butter and sugars in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Add peanut butter and mix until incorporated.
3. Mix in egg and vanilla extract then scrape the bowl down and mix once more.
4. Add flour mixture and beat on low until just incorporated.
5. Roll dough into one inch balls and place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
6. Flatten cookies with a fork in a criss-cross pattern. Bake cookies for about 8 minutes. Allow cookies to cool completely on baking sheet, they need to set up before being transferred.
PRO TIPS FOR THIS RECIPE
- You will bake the cookies until almost done when the edge is just starting to change color. They will set up and continue baking with the residual internal heat after they’re pulled out of the oven.
- Measure your flour correctly! Adding too much flour to the recipe is the most common mistake. The best, and easiest way to measure flour is by using a scale. If you don’t have one then fluff your flour with a spoon, sprinkle it into your measuring cup, and use a knife to level it off. If you have any questions about flour measuring check out the YouTube video I made about it.
- The cookies will be VERY soft just out of the oven so let them rest for a while; when cooled they will be firm enough to handle and quite delicious.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week for delicious anytime treats.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHY DO THEY HAVE FORK MARKS?
Peanut butter cookies are denser than most and will not spread out in the oven very much and would not bake evenly if the fork marks were not there to flatten them out and really press them down.
HOW TO GET THE PERFECT FORK MARK PATTERN
To get the perfect fork mark/ criss-cross pattern try using skewers instead of a fork. I used my trusty wooden skewers, snapped a few in half, lined four up and pressed down. It took more time but I got the picture-perfect cookies of my dreams. A fork works well too of course, try to use one with long tines. For a clean release pull the fork away instead of lifting up, or it you’re using the skewers try twisting them.
WHAT’S THE BEST PEANUT BUTTER TO USE FOR THESE COOKIES?
- For best results use a smooth, salted peanut butter.
- There’s no need to use a sweetened peanut butter but if that’s what you have on hand it will work just fine, you make want to decrease the sugar by 2 tablespoons though.
- If you’re using a natural peanut butter without stabilizers make sure to mix really well after opening the jar. The oil heavy top of that jar will make very runny cookies.
- Any brand that you enjoy the taste of plain will be a great!
SHOULD YOU CHILL THE DOUGH BEFORE BAKING?
Nope, there’re no need to chill the dough but if you want to make the dough ahead and chill it the cookies will bake up just as nicely.
Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe
These ULTRA-easy, melt-in-your-mouth peanut butter cookies with just the right balance of salty and sweet are a sure to please treat. Course Dessert Cuisine American Prep Time1 minute Cook Time10 minutes Total Time15 minutes Servings18 cookies Calories193kcal Author John Kanell
- ▢1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour 180g
- ▢1/2 cup butter unsalted, room temp 113g
- ▢1 cup peanut butter 250g
- ▢1/2 cup brown sugar 100g, lightly packed
- ▢1/2 cup sugar 100g
- ▢1 tsp vanilla extract 5mL
- ▢1 egg large, room temp
- ▢3/4 tsp baking powder 3g
- Preheat over to 350F
- Sift flour and baking powder together then whisk to combine.
- Cream butter and sugars in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. You can add an optional 1/4-1/2 tsp sea salt.
- Add peanut butter and mix until incorporated.
- Mix in egg and vanilla extract then add flour mixture and beat until incorporated.
- Roll dough into one inch balls and place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Flatten cookies with a fork in a criss-cross pattern.
- Bake cookies for about 10 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool completely on baking sheet, they need to set up before being transferred.