This Tender & Flavorful Crock Pot Mississippi Chicken (Keto & Low Carb) is a quick and easy weeknight dinner you’ll want to make over and over again! Made with just five ingredients, it is simple yet delicious!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time4 hrs 10 mins
Total Time4 hrs 20 mins
Course: Dinner, lunch, Main Course
Cuisine: American, casual
- 4 Bone-in Split Chicken Breasts (with skin)
- 1 Stick Butter
- 1 oz. Package Store-Bought Ranch Seasoning
- OR 1 oz. Ranch Seasoning Mix Packet or Homemade
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 8 Whole Pepperoncini Peppers, from the jar (mild or hot) Reserve 2 Tbsp Juice From Jar
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
How to Make Mississippi Chicken in the Slow Cooker:
- Salt and pepper your chicken on each side.
- In a skillet, add 2 tbsp butter and sear on both sides until brown.
- Remove chicken and add to a slow cooker. Pour in any leftover juices and fat from the pan.
- Add pepperoncini peppers, the reserved pepperoncini juice, a packet of ranch dressing mix (or homemade ranch seasoning), the rest of your butter, and the chicken broth.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 7 hours.
- When done, shred the chicken while still inside the slow cooker using two forks. Remove the bones. Serve hot!
How to Make Mississippi Chicken in the Instant Pot:
- Place the trivet in the Instant Pot, then add 2 cups chicken broth.
- Place the split chicken breasts on the trivet – try not to stack them so they can cook evenly.
- Add the other ingredients on top of the chicken.
- Lock the lid and turn the valve to sealing. Select high pressure for 12 minutes.
- All the Instant Pot to NPR (National Pressure Release) for 11 minutes, then turn the valve to vent to allow pressure to release. I cover the vent with a kitchen towel to avoid it spraying everywhere.
- Remove lid. Check the internal temperature of the chicken as larger pieces of bone-in chicken could take longer to cook. I use an instant-read thermometer in the thickest part of the chicken. It should read 165 degrees. If it is not done, pressure cook for another 3 minutes. Lift the chicken out of the IP with the trivet. Discard the bones (it will fall apart) and shred the chicken with two forks. Add the shredded chicken back to the flavorful juice in the IP. Serve hot!
This recipe makes 4 larger servings of chicken. I divide the chicken evenly into 4 servings. It could easily feed 6 depending on the size of your appetite.
You can add your shredded chicken to a keto-friendly chaffle for a delicious sandwich.
You can use any type of chicken you prefer. Chicken thighs would work as well.
Calories: 540kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 39g | Fat: 40g | Saturated Fat: 19g | Cholesterol: 176mg | Sodium: 1568mg | Potassium: 492mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 856IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 34mg | Iron: 2mg