This super creamy macaroni and cheese is flavored with garlic and parmesan cheese. It is a more grown-up version of macaroni and cheese, but just as easy to make as the classic.
Garlic and parmesan cheese are two of my favorite flavors. They work great with so many foods, like french fries, roasted vegetables and especially pasta!
We’ve been experiencing some cooler weather these last few weeks, which is unusual for late August. I’ve found myself in the mood for baking and eating warm foods again. And what is more warm and comforting than macaroni and cheese?
This macaroni and cheese is prepared on the stovetop. After the pasta is cooked, it is coated with a thick and creamy garlic parmesan cheese sauce.
- 8 oz cellentani or pasta of your choice
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp low fat milk
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- finely chopped parsley optional
- ground black pepper optional
- Boil pasta until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, add milk and garlic cloves. Simmer for a few minutes until garlic softens and flavor infuses into the milk. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, add butter. Bring saucepan to low heat until butter is melted. Add in flour and whisk until smooth roux forms. Remove and discard garlic cloves from milk and then add milk into roux. Also add in heavy cream, parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, garlic powder and mustard. Bring saucepan to medium heat. Whisk and stir until cheese is completely melted and sauce is thick and smooth.
- Add cooked pasta to cheese sauce, stirring until pasta is evenly coated. Garnish with parsley and fresh ground pepper if desired before serving.
serving: 0.25of recipe, calories: 495kcal, carbohydrates: 20.4g, protein: 18.2g, fat: 39.9g, saturated fat: 23.3g, polyunsaturated fat: 1.9g, monounsaturated fat: 12.2g, trans fat: 0.8g, cholesterol: 107mg, sodium: 516.4mg, fiber: 4.8g, sugar: 8.5g, vitamin a: 1250iu, vitamin c: 152.6mg, calcium: 470mg, iron: 1.4mg, net carbs: 16g