Keto Beef Empanadas
Sometimes, no matter how great you are doing on a Keto diet, a craving hits. For me, those cravings are typically for Mexican food. This Keto Beef Empanadas Recipe is easy to make and will allow you stay on your low carb diet while still feeling like you are indulging.
Traditionally a beautiful Argentinian delight, you’ll find these gluten free and keto empanadas to be bursting with flavor and all wrapped up in a suuuper flaky pie crust!
This delicious recipe is both keto and low carb thanks to the fathead style dough used in it. The recipe for how to make Low Carb Keto Empanadas .
I think that this Low Carb Keto Empanadasrecipe is actually pretty tasty!
The ingredients you’ll need
Here’s the list of the ingredients you’ll need to make keto empanadas. This is just an overview. The exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below:
- 1½ cups mozzarella
- 3 oz cream cheese
- 1¼ cup almond flour
- 1 egg
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped green olives if desired
- 1 tsp each: chilli powder cumin, smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ⅓ cup salsa of choice
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a pan over a medium heat, cook the onions in 1-2 tbsp olive oil until slightly softened. Next add in
- the tender ground beef and break up the meat with a spatula. Season the meat mix with chilli
- powder, cumin and smoked paprika. Now cook the mixture until completely browned. Drop in any
- salsa of choice and set aside. You can add olives also if you so wish.
- While the beef meat is cooking, add some mozzarella and cream cheese to a bowl and microwave
- the mix for just one minute. Remove and stir well, then return the mix to the microwave for another
- minute. Now stir everything well.
- Next add the egg to mozzarella and cream cheese mixture and mix together well. Then add in the
- almond flour and mix well once more.
- The dough needs to be flat so roll the dough flat with a rolling pin or with a piece of plastic wrap on
- top and use a heavy bottle instead. Once you’ve rolled it totally flat, say about ¼” thick, use a bowl
- to cut circle shapes in the dough.
- For any excess dough, you can simply form into a ball then roll out again and repeat the process
- until all the dough has been used. After all you could make an extra beef empanada from the dough
- Now lay down on a lightly greased cooking sheet, parchment paper or a silicone baking mat,
- whichever you prefer.
- Place a couple spoonfuls of beef meat mixture into each circle on one half and then neatly fold the
- other half right over. Be certain to press down firmly on the edges in order to seal the meat. You can
- also slightly roll the edges to make sure they’re together well or use a fork to gently push down the
- edges to keep everything tidy before cooking.
- Once you’ve made all the ground beef empanadas, cook them at 425 degrees for 12 minutes until
- starting to turn golden brown in the oven then remove and set aside.
These majestic ground beef empanadas are made with a ketogenic and low carb fathead dough.
The tasty dough is then filled with tender and juicy ground beef that goes down a treat.Also if you
discover that the dough is too sticky to work with, you can do a few things to help out. Such as add a
little more almond flour to the dough mix. Or you can place the empanada dough in the fridge or
freezer for 15 minutes before working with it. Alternatively just rub some low fat oil onto your hands
before handling the dough.
Calories: 406kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 35g | Saturated
Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 89mg | Sodium: 479mg | Potassium: 324mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Calcium: 232mg | Iron: 2.8mg