- 1 egg (or just an egg white for a crispier chaffle)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Turn waffle maker on or plug it in so that it heats and grease both sides.
- In a small bowl, crack an egg then add the 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and stir to combine.* For a crispier chaffle use just the egg white instead of the entire egg.
- Pour 1/2 of the batter in the waffle maker and close the top.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes or until it reaches desired doneness.
- Carefully remove from waffle maker and set aside for 2-3 minutes to give it time to crisp.
- Follow the instructions again to make the second chaffle.
- This recipe for a traditional chaffle makes fantastic sandwiches.
Variations to the Traditional Chaffle Recipe
- Experiment with different kinds of cheese such as Monterrey Jack, Colby, mozzarella cheese, etc. You could even combine two different kinds of cheese for added flavor.
- Add spices such as garlic powder, Italian seasoning, Everything But the Bagel seasoning, or red pepper flakes to turn it up a notch
- I have found they are best when made with just an egg white instead of the entire egg.
- Add a tsp of coconut flour or a tablespoon of almond flour along with 1/4 tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt.
- Thinly chopped peppers, onions, or jalapenos can add flavor and texture.
- Keep it sugar-free by adding keto-friendly sweeteners like Lakanto Monkfruit or Swerve to make a sweet Chaffle.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 291kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 223mg | Sodium: 413mg | Potassium: 116mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 804IU | Calcium: 432mg | Iron: 1mg