These cheesy baked broccoli tots are like broccoli cheddar soup on steroids. You basically take all of that deliciousness but add a little crunch to it by smashing these patties into flat little discs, and then baking them until they are golden brown all along the edges.
The key to making them crispy is LOTS of cheese and extra baking time. That, and making sure you drain the excess liquid from your frozen broccoli rice or cauliflower rice.
This quick and easy low carb snack idea is my absolute favorite. Even my kids can’t get enough of this cheesy baked broccoli! They are so simple to make with just a few ingredients including frozen broccoli rice and almond flour.
Keyword: broccoli, cheese, healthy, keto, low carb, snacks
Servings: 16 tots
- 1 (10oz) bag frozen broccoli rice* (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups freshly shredded cheddar cheese (not the pre-shredded)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp almond flour
- seasoning to taste (I use garlic salt)
- Cook the broccoli rice in the microwave according to the package directions. Using a fine strainer, drain and squeeze out as much of the excess liquid as you can; set aside to cool.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, mix together the broccoli rice, shredded cheese, egg, almond flour and seasoning to taste.
- Make about 16 small balls with the mixture and place them evenly on your baking sheet. Smoosh them with your hands to flatten them out a bit.
- In the center rack, bake for about 15 minutes (or until they start to brown), and then flip them over and contintue baking for another 8-10 minutes.
- Eat alone or serve with a low carb sauce.