Whether you like mushroom barley soup or this easy mushroom barley stew, this recipe will satisfy those cozy, comfort cravings.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Author: Kylie PerrottiEquipment
- Large pot
- Small skillet
IngredientsMushroom Barley Stew
- 2 teaspoons neutral oil for frying
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound mixed mushrooms sliced, diced, or torn depending on the variety
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 4 ribs celery diced
- 6 young carrots diced (see note)
- 6 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 4 Roma tomatoes diced (or use 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes)
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 tablespoons flour optional
- 6 cups mushroom or vegetable stock plus more, as needed
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon dry chives plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon dry parsley plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper plus more, to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
Crispy Mushroom Topping:
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms torn or sliced, depending on variety
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley minced
- Flaky sea salt
InstructionsCook the Mushrooms:
- Heat oil and butter in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook for 8-12 minutes, stirring often, until well-browned and softened. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a bowl.
Cook the Mirepoix:
- If the pot is too dry, add another drizzle of oil. Add the onion, carrots, and celery and cook for 5-7 minutes until just beginning to soften. Add the garlic and cook for 45 seconds.
- Add the diced Roma tomatoes and the barley and cook for 1 minute, stirring regularly. Return the mushrooms to the pot and stir.
Add the Stock:
- Sprinkle the flour over the dish and stir to combine. Cook, stirring often, for 2-3 minutes until the flour deepens in color. Be careful not to burn the flour.
- Pour in 1 cup of stock and whisk to combine. Continue adding the stock, one cup at a time, whisking after each addition until all the stock is added. Season with chives, thyme, and parsley. Add the crushed red pepper and season again with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes until the barley is tender. Stir regularly and add up to 2 cups more stock if necessary. Taste and season again to preference.
Fry the Mushrooms:
- Once the stew is ready to serve, crisp up the mushroom topping.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over high heat. Once very hot, add the mushrooms and cook without moving for 2-3 minutes until very well browned. Flip and cook an additional 1-2 minutes until well-browned on the other side. Turn off the heat.
- Transfer the mushrooms to a bowl with freshly minced parsley and sprinkle immediately with flaky sea salt. Toss to coat with parsley.
- Divide the mushroom barley stew between bowls and pile the crispy mushrooms on top. Garnish with any remaining parsley. Enjoy!
I used young, small carrots which did not need to be peeled. If using larger carrots, you only need 3 carrots. Peel them first.Nutrition
Calories: 288kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 12mg | Sodium: 1226mg | Potassium: 824mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 3264IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 2mg