▢3 cups shredded cheese mozzarella cheese * See notes
- ▢2 oz cream cheese
- ▢1 3/4 cups almond flour
- ▢1 tablespoon baking powder
- ▢2 large eggs
FOR THE GLAZE AND TOPPING
- ▢1 large egg
- ▢1 tablespoon sesame seeds optional
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add the shredded cheese and cream cheese. Microwave in 20 second spurts, until the cheese is mostly melted. Remove and whisk together, until combined and smooth. Let the mixture cool slightly.
- Transfer the warm cheese mixture into a food processor. Add the dry ingredients, along with the eggs, and pulse until a thick dough remains.
- Lightly dust a kitchen surface with almond flour. Transfer the dough onto it, and, using slightly wet hands, knead it several times. Once the dough is smooth, divide it into 6 portions. Roll the portions of dough into balls and place them on the lined tray. Press down onto each one into a thinner burger bun shape. Brush the tops with the remaining egg (whisked), before sprinkling the sesame seeds on top.
- Bake the buns for 14-17 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes, before slicing in half and serving.
* Mozzarella cheese is best, as it is mild flavored. You can also use cheddar cheese or provolone, but the flavor will be more prominent.
** 2 eggs will be used for the dough, and the remaining egg will be used to brush on top of the buns.
For slider buns, make 12 portions.
TO STORE: Leftover buns should be stored in the refrigerator, covered. They will keep well for up to 1 week.
TO FREEZE: Slice the buns in half and place them in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
TO REHEAT: Either microwave the buns for 30 seconds or slice them in half and heat in a non-stick pan until warm.
Serving: 1servingCalories: 250kcalCarbohydrates: 5gProtein: 15gFat: 19gSodium: 790mgPotassium: 111mgFiber: 3gVitamin A: 663IUCalcium: 498mgIron: 2mgNET CARBS: 2g